Register now for the Suzuki Early Childhood Etobicoke (SECE) winter session
beginning the week of January 9, 2017.
At Etobicoke Suzuki Music, we want to bring the joy of learning music into the home of every family we serve.
The objective of the Etobicoke Suzuki Music is to contribute to the community, in partnership with our families, through high quality music education. In addition to fostering an ongoing appreciation of music, this education seeks to nurture the whole child, developing independence, discipline and other life skills.
Who We Are
Etobicoke Suzuki Music is recognized as one of the oldest and finest Suzuki programs in Canada. ESM is a nonprofit, co-operatively run school, founded in 1982 and now has an enrolment of approximately 120 children between the ages of 6 months and 18 years.
Our faculty members have extensive and specialized training in the Suzuki method acquired in Canada, the US and Japan. Our teachers are all accomplished musicians and perform in various orchestras and ensembles. Our enrichment class teachers teach a variety of classes (see below).
What We Provide
- Suzuki Early Childhood music classes for babies and toddlers from birth to 4years and their caregivers, using a variety of rhythm instruments, finger plays and songs to develop the child's musical ability in all
aspects, as well as important social skills like taking turns and sharing
- Instruction in violin, viola & cello for children aged 3 and up
- A private lesson and a group class each week for each student with their parent
- Music and movement for the younger students
- Chamber music instruction and trips/exchanges for senior students
- Two full school group concerts, solo recitals and a full day workshop with guest teachers
- An enrichment program of other classes – rhythmic reading, ensembles and theory
- Opportunities to perform in groups and solo for community groups (seniors, schools, etc.).
When Our Program Runs
- Our school year runs from September to June and participation is for the full year. Occasionally we accept beginners up to January, so feel free to enquire.
- Private lessons are scheduled between the parent and the teacher
- Group classes are held on Monday evenings and run September to late November and January to late April.
- Group classes start at 5:00 pm and the last ones end at 9:00 pm.
Where We Are Located
- Private lessons are taught in various locations in West Toronto, Etobicoke and Mississauga (see Private Lessons and Faculty).
- Group classes are held in Etobicoke at PLAST, 516 The Kingsway (at Kipling Ave, parking in rear of building).
How We Teach
- We follow the philosophy of Talent Education developed by Shinichi Suzuki in Japan in the 1940's. This philosophy is based on the idea that every child has the potential to achieve a high level of proficiency and personal development (see Suzuki Method for more information).
- Instruction is carried out in a positive manner that reinforces accomplishments, builds confidence and is fun.
- The repertoire is designed to build skills in small sequential steps that are easy for young children.
- Children progress at their own pace.
- Faculty participate in ongoing teacher development sessions including regular pedagogy discussions as well as additional Suzuki Teacher Training, conferences and workshops.